Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Cybercommunity

I went to a Holiday Christmas party last night that was hosted by some Democratic Party faithful. We knew we were at the right place when we saw a giant No "W" in red christmas lights on the roof. This was somewhat of a statement given the suburban neighborhood and the state we are in.

The party was full of campaign workers, public officials, ex public officials, judges, neighborhood organizors, who, to say the least, were beginning to come out of the catatonia from the preceeding months electoral humiliation.

A sitting district judge asked me what I was working on right now. I told him I had started a Blog... that the blog was my way of dealing with a Kerry defeat, should the event prove to be true.

He asked me what a Blog was and I gave him some kind of answer that was reasonably short and descriptive. A little bit later, after I had moved on, the lady who was next to him came up to me and said,

"I have a web site and I have never heard the word BLOG."

I told her that I thought it was probably one of the most important developments in the cyber world in the last 2 years or so. It turns out that she has a very active site called Equestrian Singles. It's a cyber community for horse lovers and lovers in general.

She understood and used the word cybercommunity with me. I checked the site out.

It definitely is.

Cybercommunity is busting out all over.

My favorites are the lefty types.

There is Kevin Drum at Washington Monthly.

And there is the always professional Talking Points Memo.

There is the Daily Kos site which is now almost

a democratic party all by itself.

And there is Eschaton. And MyDD.

These are substantial communities.

It was Daily Kos that leaked the exit polls on election day

That made us feel good for a while

Until we started feeling really bad.

And there is Professor Cole on the War.

I may have about 40 Blogs that I read pretty regularly.

But only the Rude Pundit can make me laugh out loud in my office.

Most of these blogs have linked blogrolls.

I am pretty careful with the links in this Blog.

And this time is no different.

These are excellent examples of cybercommunity.

But most still believe that War brings Peace.

They don't talk about the Singularity.

They still think that we have a Democracy.

They don't get outside of the bell curve.

But they really do ring it loudly while they are in there.




3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How many hits do these sites get?

9:16 AM  
Blogger oZ said...

There is a site which gives you the top blogs and their numbers. you can google it.

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

here is one http://www.technorati.com/live/top100.html

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home